Channels by the numbers

here are some numbers: Transferring ether normally is about 21,000 gas Opening a new channel with our current code is around 220,000 gas With a storage optimization we can get down to 100,000 gas Closing a channel is 72,000 without optimization. not sure how much optimization would reduce it

ReDrawing is around 100,000 without optimization

so, let’s say that opening and closing is about 150,000 once it is optimized

jehan-classicToday at 1:33 AM

so lets say that you can send 8 normal txs with the gas it takes to open and close one channel.

if you keep reDrawing, it gets amortized down to 100,000, so 4-5 normal txs worth

jehan-classicToday at 1:42 AM

right now, normal transfers are like 1 cent US

We are trying to keep gas fees to 5% i think, so we are paying in 20c increments IIRC

nodes pay after use, but the cutoff threshold is 10x the payment threshold to avoid service disruptions

so, nodes are trusting each other with $2.00 worth of bandwidth at any time

if you have a network where 2000 subscribers are each paying $30 per month in bandwidth fees, that’s $60,000 per month of money flowing through, or 300,000 20c increments

there are about 18,000,000 transactions on eth every month, which means that the one network of 2000 subscribers would represent 2% of Ethereum’s volume

With channels, it’s a little trickier to figure things out

Our naive algorithm will just fill channels to a number that is likely to leave enough liquiidity for other uses

but it will have to fill them to at least $1 to break even with regular txs

(20c * 5)

Our algorithm could learn with neighbors get paid a lot and inch fill amounts upwards. With an ideal setup, channels could be filled to roughly (average_deposit / num_neighbors) - subnet_escrow - safety_margin

so, if i load $60 into my router, $10 goes to the subnet escrow, $10 stays as a safety margin, then i can have 2 channels with $20 each

that’s supposing the algorithm has learned that those 2 channels can be filled up a lot

And ideally, between 2-10 transactions per month, although each transaction will cost as much as 5 of the current transactions

> if you have a network where 2000 subscribers are each paying $30 per month in bandwidth fees, that’s $60,000 per month of money flowing through, or 300,000 20c increments Actually that’s probably wrong, because it doesn’t take multiple hops into account. It will be more.